Friday, May 16, 2014

Interview with an intern at the SABC Polokwane Media Library: Simon Mabetlela



SABC Polokwane has acquired the service of Simon Mabetlela, a qualified librarian.

The intern will be here for couple of months to acquire valuable skills, but also to help with the workflows at SABC Polokwane Media Library.


Please tell us about your personal history as well as your studies. How did you become an intern here at SABC?

I am Simon Thapedi Mabetlela from the Ga-matlala district. I started my primary studies at Nare Mohlalerwa School in Ga-Sebotse Village and therefore went for my secondary studies at Mokateng Secondary at Rosenkraans Village. I then furthered my tertiary studies at the University of Limpopo, where I did BA Media studies and a Post- Graduate Diploma in Information studies. I am now holding an intern position at the SABC Limpopo Combo’s Media library.

What does your job entail here at SABC?

I am involved in the processing, preservation and retrieval of historical material which is of importance to the public. These processes includes selection, editing, cataloguing and recording audio clips onto compact discs. I also assist in the books section where I help clients in accessing their desired books. Other functions include shelving and assisting within the record library in searching records for patrons and attending to internal and external enquiries. 

What have you learned already while you have been there?

I have learnt many things, including work ethics and professionalism, communication skills and team work, and usage of library automation software systems.

Tell us of any interesting anecdotes story with regards to your internship

The internship helps in co-relating theory into practice and provides me with much needed experience. It helps me to translate what I have learnt at school into practice. It puts me in a working environment and makes me to explore the work sphere and apply my career related functions at large.

What are you planning to do after this?

I would like to finish my internship programme and hopefully be absorbed for a permanent position within the corporation.   I really want to grow within the library and information management field as it is within my field of study.


Related posts:

- Interview with a student at SABC Polokwane Media Library 

Interview with an intern at the SABC Information Library: Veronica Machate

Interview with an intern at the SABC Information Library: Agrineth Mashile


Blog post and questions by Karen du Toit

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any feedback and comments!